Wednesday 27 August 2014

When we loose a pet.

Not really the done thing to put on a eulogy about a cat but I think humans find an interaction with animals that is usually quite pure and in someway a reflection of themselves, to which I will try to explain to myself.

Fernox resting on my legs.

In 2009 I’d bought a house and was completely broke and single. At times I found myself bewildered just staring at the waning ceilings and crumbling walls and I’d suddenly catch a glimpse of a cat in the corner of my eye. With a start I’d turn around to see there was in fact no cat. It happened to me several times and I started to think I was going mad only to later reason my brain was trying to comfort me on a subconscious level, or that the house was in fact haunted. I opted for the first definition.

Two years later, when the house was all fixed up, I decided to get cats and fill the house with a bit of love and not just paint and found two ginger kittens online that were brothers. Thirty minutes later I was driving them to my home in a cardboard box strapped to the passenger seat of my car with their heads poking through the gaps in the box like two furry periscopes. On the way back I thought to myself, 'this is like entering into a relationship with a partner', as you know you feel desire but your fear of things falling apart, like the love ending, or even a death, actually stops you from entering into any relationship just so that you never have to feel the heartache of the end of the world in it’s minutiae.

Back at the house I duly named the cats Sika and Fernox after building material manufacturers, it seemed fitting at the time, and well, they never complained. Both cats had different personalities, Fernox was proud, loyal and had a silent meow whereas Sika is more the cheeky rogue and mouser. But of the two, I’d again turn with that start of something in the corner of my eye and it always seemed to be Fernox that was there, followed by his silent meow.

When the call came after two years of living without nostalgia of the now, I would have gladly set the world on fire in that moment just to have avoided hearing a stranger tell me he'd found my cat, dead, and unceremoniously put on top of his bin by the roadside. 

We all want to live out our days into old age with grace and dignity and feel the need to protect those around us with our ideals of Utopia, but the ancient Greeks invented the word that translates as, 'no place' and that our ideals have no place in the cruel nature of life. We live wonderful existential lives side by side animals and our fellow human beings but have no control over the nature of time and its inevitability.

This is the hardest thing. It's not just the grief of loss for an animals unreserved love and companionship that doesn’t involve the conflict with being a fuck up, wearing crap clothes or having a big nose, but it is the loss of a time impossibly shared. A time of fantastic inconsequence that we shared and he probably didn’t even know he was helping me towards where I am today, the now.



http://www.timothyfoster.co.uk

No comments: